Shraddha Board / Team
Dr. Nalli Kuppuswami Chettiar (A Padma Shree Awardee)
Nalli Kuppuswami Chettiar, an acclaimed silk industrialist, hails from the reputed Nalli family of weavers. Born in Kancheepuram on Nov. 9, 1940, he is a successful businessman, a connoisseur and patron of fine arts and an award-winning author of business management books.
Nalli Kuppuswami Chettiar is a voracious reader and an author of a score of books in English and Tamil. Two of them have won Tamil Nadu Government’s awards as the best business books. Some have been translated into English and Indian languages. He has a big home library of rare titles. His interests span education, philosophy, metaphysics, religion, literature, arts, culture and history. Known for his erudition and humour, he is an engaging speaker too. He is often invited by colleges, Universities and Business schools for special lectures.
A protagonist of value-education, he is on the governing body of his alma mater, Ramakrishna Mission School and Vivekananda College. He has been a member of the Senate of Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Member, South Zone Cultural Centre, Thanjavur, and Member of the Central Silk Board, Bangalore. He is President of Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, Krishna Gana Sabha, Bhairavi Gana Sabha, Nungambakkam Cultural Academy, Mudhra, Mylapore Fine Arts Club and Vice-President, Tamil Chamber of Commerce. He is associated with a host of institutions like Sneha.
Even as Nalli shops are landmarks, Kuppuswami Chettiar is a hallmark in citizenry. He has been honoured with several titles. For his acumen in history he earned the title Charitra Mamani Developers India named him a Vibrant Indian. SIDBI presented him the Best Customer Award.
Recognising his patronage to arts and culture the Tamil Nadu Government has presented him the title, Kalaimamani. The President of India has conferred on him with the title Padma Shree for his signal contribution to trade and industry.
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
- Retired Businessman.
- Immediate past president of Automobile Associations of India and ruling president of Automobile Association of southern India.
- Member of road safety council, GOI and he does lot of road safety activities.
- Senior member of Lions Clubs International.
- Chairman of St.John Ambulance Association, Chennai.
- Honorary Secretary of The Mylapore Academy..
- The Programmer of giving awards to the ‘bests’ for Tamil stage plays by The Mylapore academy brain child.
- Founder of all Lions choir group ‘SIMHAVANI’.
- These positions give him a lot of opportunities and open new avenues to do social service.
- He has great interest and passion for stage performances, music, dance and drama.
- THITTAI R. GOPALAN is a post-graduate in Economics.
- He worked for about 20 years in a large Indian firm of Consulting Engineers of which 15 years were in their German wholly owned subsidiary.
- He had been a member of the Project Team to a number of countries in the Middle East, North Africa, South America and Iran.
- 27 years with Indo-German Chamber of Commerce as their Southern Regional Director.
- Recipient of the German Federal President’s Order of Merit in 1996 for Commitment and Contribution to furtherance of Indo-German bilateral business relations.
- Born on 6/12/1938 a Commerce Graduate of the Madras University started his career with Madras Motor & General Insurance Co. Ltd, which was subsequently taken over by the government; retired as Assistant General Manager, after nearly 4 decades of service in the same organisation; he has worked in many cities of the country other than Chennai and widely travelled.
- He is very passionate in theatre; he has started acting around 1957-58. A founder member of stage creations, has acted more than 30 plays for them. He also a member of South Indian Theatres, New Delhi, has acted in around 9 plays. He has also acted with some of the other leading troupes in Chennai and won many awards.
- Other interests: Music, travelling and reading
- At present he is the Secretary of Shraddha, a leading theatre development group.
- Mrs. Prema Sadasivam, lawyer by qualification, worked for the Indo-German chamber of commerce. She opted voluntary retirement to pursue cultural interests.
- An established classical dancer, she has choreographed more than 40 full length and short thematic dance dramas. She has given many solo performances. She was the Winner of Swarna Kalash award twice for ‘SHAKUNTALAM’ and ‘VIKRAMORV ASIYUM’ by Sarasalaya dance school, at kalidasa samaroh samiti, ujjain.
- She has the interest from childhood in theatre – specifically Tamil dramas. Acted in more than 400 dramas, in several leading amateur troupes. Won best actress award from The Mylapore Academy. First recipient of award for stage actress on international theatre artistes’ day.
- Charter president of the first all lady Lions Club international in this part of the country. This year lions district chairman, cultural activities.
- Founder member, lions Simhavani choir group along with her husband T.D. Sadasivam
- Read Tamil news in Door Darshan, Chennai from its inception for 15 years.
- Member, Central Dance Audition Board, Door Darshan.
- Dedicates her time and efforts for Tamil stage – both performance and promotion.
- Born on 19/09/1944, a postgraduate of the Madras University joined Sundaram Motors and worked for roughly 15 years and joined Alfutine in Dubai for better prospects and worked for 25 years. Returned to India after retirement to settle down.
- Very passionate in theatre joined UAA and also founder member of stage creations acted in many plays with them. Have also acted with many other leading troupes in the city. Have gone on stage more than 2000 times. Have invited leading troupes to Dubai for their performance.
- Keen on travelling and magic. have given many magic performances in many places. Have created some magic tricks for crazy creations and united visuals for their plays.
- At present he is the treasurer of Shraddha, a leading group for theatre development
- Born on 30/04/1938 a commerce graduate of the Madras University joined Jenson & Nicholson and retired as branch manager after 35 years service.
- Very passionate in theatre initially was with Cho’s Viveka fine arts and Later Started Stage Creations and staged more than 35 plays. Have gone on stage more than 6000 times. Have acted in many other troupes in the city and internationally travelled for staging plays. Have also acted in many films and t v serials. Won many awards including Kalaimaamani of the Tamil Nadu government.
- At present he is the committee member of Shraddha a leading group for theatre development.
- Anand Raghav is a Short story writer, Playwright and Screen writer.
- He has published over 75 short stories so far in all leading magazines from Chennai like Ananda Vikatan, Kalki, Amudhasurabhi, Kumudam, Andhimazhai, Kalaimagal and Dinamalar. Recipient of the “ Illakkiya Sinthanai’ award for the year 2010 for his Short story “ Checkmate” , he has won 14 other prizes in short story competitions held by in Chennai, U.S.A and Australia. His English short stories have been published in Penguin Publisher’s Cross cultural anthology.
- Anand has published three books – The first two , a collection of his short stories are titled “ Taxi Driver” and “ Thuli Visham”. The third, titled “ Ramakien” is a comparative study of Indian Ramayanas with the Thai and other South East Asian Ramayanas. He has written extensively on the Hindu and Indian influence on the History and Culture of South East Asian countries.
- He has also written 7 stage plays ( 5 in Tamil and 2 in English) for Krea Creations U.S.A and Shraddha of Chennai. He was long listed in the Hindu Metro Plus Playwright Contest of 2012 for his first English play titled “ Dark Clouds on the dawning sky”. His plays have been performed over 50 times so far.
- Anand Raghav has also written the screen play and dialogues for 4 short films all of which have won prizes in the Nalaya Iyakkunar competition in Kalaignar TV. One short film was short listed for screening in the Bangalore International Short Film Festival.
- A Mathematics graduate from Loyola College, Chennai, Krish began his career in the tough side of the business world working as an Internee Chartered Accountant in a highly reputed Audit firm in India.
- Krish was constantly impelled by his creative instinct to take inroads in the field of Multimedia and Design and founded Mayapuri Graphic Workstation in the year 2001. As a creative professional, he brings the ‘business sense’ to the creative solutions produced at Mayapuri. He strategizes and directs films and audio-visuals in various genres like corporate and product presentations, infomercials, commercials, promos, etc.
- Mayapuri provides Branding and Creative solutions for major corporates in India, France, Norway and U.K.
- Passionate about theatre, he has acted and coordinated many productions, as a member of Chinmaya Yuva Kendra. A co-founder of a theatre group called “dummies drama” founded in 1998; a leading & award winning Tamil theatre group in Chennai, acting and direction are his forte.
- Presently, as a committee member, he helps in strategizing and communicating brand “Shraddha” to the world.
- Depending on how you view it, Swaminathan’s restlessness can be described variously as vanity, attention seeking, craving for arc lights, even megalomania.
- Right from school days, Swami has not missed an opportunity to be on stage. The pressures of an academically challenging childhood growing up in conservative Chennai distracted him from theatre for a while, and he thought he could make do with other things.
- He tried mathematics, software, then dabbled with children’s books for intermittent periods during his life. It took a surprisingly long time for him to accept that you need a job that pays to make a living. He is now fully convinced about this need.
- So he works for a software company to pay his bills, and calls his theatre work for Shraddha “a hobby” (though in a half-hearted sense). In Shraddha his role is limited to acting, but being the type he is, he regularly steps on other’s shoes, thus lending a sense of belligerence and argumentative equilibrium to Shraddha’s practice sessions and strategy meetings. It is a miracle that the seniors at Shraddha tolerate him.
- Army Engineer (1962 to 1969)
- Builder (1969 to 1980)
- Project Consultant (1980 to till date)
- Specialist in setting up Sea Food factories and Aqua Culture Farms
- Valuer for LIC Housing Finance Schemes for 22 years.
- Managing Director projects in a Public limited company (1990 to 2000)
- Chairman and Managing Director, Software company (2000 to 2002)
- Executive Committee Member /Life member of Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai
- Special mention: Free service as consultant, Project coordinator for Temple projects. Two major temple projects completed are
- (l)Pandurangan temple for GA Trust at Tennangur near Vandavasi: Completed 1996
- (2) Pandurangan temple for Sri Vittal Rukmini Samsthan at Govindapuram, Kumbhakonam, Mahakumbhabhishegam on July 15, 2011.
- Interests: Carnatic Music, Dance, Drama, Movies, Bhajans , Life/Patron member of Naradaganasabha, Hamsadhwani, Mudra, Kalarasana, Bharath Kalchar, Asthik Samaj, Thyabramha Gana Sabha, Saint Thyagaraja Centre – Thiruvaiyaru.
- S.L. Narasimhan aka Yessel: A Maths graduate from Madras University by education. Started his professional career as a pharmacy retailer in Nanganallur – a suburb of Chennai, which is part of the busy city now. Then moved on to advertising in 1995 creating theme stalls, organizing road shows and other BTL activities for some of the top international brands like Intel, Microsoft etc.
- An avid listener of good music from the age of 3, accompanied his father while recording live classical music concerts. What started as a hobby became a great passion resulting in a repository as large as about 4TB of Indian classical music from 1930s.
- A voracious reader across genres, his reading interest drew him to theatre and has helped couple of amateur groups on the production side.
- He is a sport enthusiast with keen interest in cricket, tennis, hockey, soccer, table tennis.
- The experience of 10+ years in advertising and marketing exposed him to various technologies. And his innate urge to learn drove him to learn and acquire newer skills.
- The result of acquiring new skills prompted him to raise a technology startup company based out of Chennai. Today he runs the small company doing projects for his clients across India and US.
- His passion for teaching and training keeps him around schools and colleges. He is regular speaker, guest lecturer in about 5 colleges and couple of institutes in Chennai.